Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Mysterious Mitten Man

All winter, we have been working to get David to wear his hat and gloves.  All winter, David has opted instead to pull up the hood of his coat and alternately slip his hands into his pockets or up into the arms of his coat.

I usually am able to break the ice, so to speak, the first time I let David play in the snow.  It is always a struggle, but I do not let him go out into the wintery wonderland until he has a hat and gloves on and he has to come back inside the minute he takes anything off.  For some reason, he is then usually agreeable to wearing his winter gear until spring comes and we have to reverse the process, weaning him from the unneeded outer-wear.

It has been an unusually temperate winter and we missed the one snowfall that was playable, consequently David has made it into January without regularly sporting a hat or gloves.  So, imagine my surprise when he let me help him into his mittens as he was playing outside over the weekend.  He had been outside for about ten minutes, when I saw him rubbing his hands together and offered—for the hundredth time—a pair of gloves or mittens.

I was ecstatic and ran to grab the camera.  David, however, was not amused and did not want to be photographed mitten clad.  Maybe, David wants to control his image, which does not include the wearing of gloves or mittens.  Perhaps, he thought he could sell a rare mitten shot to the tabloids.  I should have left him alone, but I pursued him paparazzi-style in an attempt to document this milestone.



Boy, he is fast.



I think I am being scolded.  Leave me alone…blah, blah, blah…personal privacy…blah, blah, blah…call the police…blah, blah, blah…private property.



Ah, there it is.



As it is David’s oath to keep life interesting, I must report that the high temperature today is not supposed to make it out of the teens with wind chills in the negative numbers.  In the interest of full disclosure, I must also report that David marched out to the bus, hood up and hands pulled up into the arms of his coat.  Anyone know how many days until the first day of spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment