Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sight Words

David has been working hard to learn his ten sight words each month. While he has done well with them, I am afraid that he relies on his brain power, simply memorizing each word and does not grasp concepts like word families, beginning sounds or rhyming words. 

Yesterday, we saw a tabby cat hiding under our bushes. I know that David can read the word "cat" and has for me on numerous occasions, but when I asked him to spell it, he answered, "T…A…C.

Later, he was looking at my laptop and ran his finger over the logo on the lid. "D…E…L…L," he said. 

Without even thinking about it, I said, "David, what does that spell?" I caught myself immediately. Why did I do that? Obviously not one of David's sight words for the month of November. Maybe he can at least get the D sound.

David thought about it for a minute, looked up at me with his broad grin and responded proudly, "ComPICKER," which of course is his word for computer.

Good guess, but I think we still have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment