Monday, December 5, 2011

A Santa Sighting

When I asked David if he wanted to see Santa, I absolutely thought the implication was that Santa would, in fact, “see” David too.

Perhaps I did not phrase the question correctly which might explain why David answered in the affirmative in the first place. Consequently, I had been waiting for the right opportunity when the newsletter came from our local bank announcing that Santa would be stopping by on Saturday.

It sounded perfect. No crowds. No lines. No waiting.

We packed the whole family in the car and parked in front of the bank. As I was searching in my pocket for the camera, David started to run up the sidewalk. I didn’t really expect he would get close enough to Santa for a good photo op, but I wanted to be ready just in case.

I had to be careful of my footing because a wet snow was falling, but reached the sidewalk just in time to see David slow his step ever so slightly, glance in the window to catch a glimpse of jolly old St. Nick, and keep right on running all the way down the sidewalk to the end of the strip mall.

So, on Saturday, at the tender age of seven, David saw Santa for the very first time—through two plate glass windows. It was all over in the blink of an eye. There will be no Christmas card photo.

Maybe next year we can convince Santa to work the drive-through lane.

2 comments: